TVR was named for its creator, Trevor Wilkinson in 1947. It was another ten years before TVR put out its first production car, the Jomar. TVR also had the help of auto dealer Ray Saidel, and orders exceeded output. After encountering numerous problems TVR became Layton Sports Car Ltd. and shortly thereafter, Grantura Engineering. It wasn’t until 1965 that the company went back to TVR Engineering.

TVR Logo

Now it’s the third largest specialized sports car maker in the world, TVR has just announced that after being based in England since its inception, they will be moving to Turin, Italy, and re-launching their line at the Geneva Motor Show in March of 2007. Presumably, with the concept that was developed in 1953, of fiberglass bodywork over a tubular steel backbone chassis. Engine production will remain in England where it has been since the 1990s when TVR began manufacturing engines in-house. Prior to that, they used Ford and Rover engines.

Comments are closed.